Another family-owned business, Nobilia, was founded in 1945 in Avenwedde by brothers Johann and Willy Stickling. Originally a carpenter’s workshop, their initial products included utilitarian and occasional furniture pieces. By 1947, they were focussing almost exclusively on the manufacturing of kitchen cupboards. In 1956, the brothers ended their partnership, with Willy taking over the living room furniture and Johann continuing with the original Nobilia.
By 1961, Johann’s son, Heinz, joined the Nobilia and gave the brand some new life. When Heinz’ younger brother Werner also joined the company in 1967, the limited partnership was renamed NOBILIA-Werke J. Stickling KG. From then on the family business exclusively focussed on and became market leaders in fitted kitchen manufacture and design.
From the mid-1990’s, Nobilia produced 1,000 kitchens per day, growing to 2,700 kitchens per day by 2006. By 2007, the brand was awarded the “Golden M” award for its environmental management system from the Deutschen Gütegemeinschaft Für Möbel (German Furniture Quality Control). Their 2009 introduction of an in-house testing laboratory for all new items was the first of its kind in the industry. After many expansions and phenomenal growth, Nobilia produces a total of 28,700 kitchen units per day in their two plants combined, making them the biggest kitchen manufacturer in Germany.