“Error 0x80071ac3: The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty. Please run chkdsk and try again.”
Typically, Windows users might come across this “error 0x80071ac3: The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty. Please run chkdsk and try again.” when they try to copy files from the computer to external storage drives like USB drive, external hard drive, SSD, SD card, memory card, flash drive, etc.
“The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty” error message indicates that the system can neither write the data which you have copied to the connected drive nor read files present on the external storage drive because of damage or corruption.
And here, your Windows operating system is not responsible for the error “the operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty”. In fact, faulty driver software or corrupt/damaged storage device on which you are trying to write/read data from is the actual cause for the error code.
So, here is how to fix the operation could not be completed because “the volume is dirty” error message in an easy way.
Steps to Fix Error 0x80071ac3 – The Operation Could Not Be Completed Because the Volume Is Dirty:
Faulty or outdated driver software may give rise to error the operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty, it is suggested to update your driver software as a primary solution to fix the error.
Here is how to update the driver.
- Right-click on Start menu/Windows icon and select Device Manager
- Expand Disk Drivers
- Right-click on the USB drive/external disk/SD card that shows error and select Uninstall device
- Click the Uninstall button
- Reboot your computer, when the process is done
- Now, again launch Device Manager and go to Actions
- Select, scan for hardware changes
Windows install all missing drivers automatically.
Many USB drives, USB sticks, flash drives come with an in-built feature called ReadyBoost to enhance their performance. But, in many cases, this feature itself is responsible for the error 0x80071ac3: The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty.
So, disabling this ReadyBoost might help you in solving the error code.
Follow these steps to disable USB’s ReadyBoost.
- Right-click on the external storage drive that shows error message volume is dirty.
- Select Properties, then ReadyBoost.
- Check Do not use this device radio button.
- Click Apply, then OK.
- Search cmd in the Start bar, right-click on the Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk: H /r (replace H with the drive letter of your error throwing drive) and press Enter.
This starts a deep scan on the selected drive for errors and bad sectors. Then, CHKDSK tries to fix if any found.
- Repeat the above scan until CHKDSK says it found no problems. Finally, type exit to leave the Command Prompt window.
Format the Drive
If none of the above solutions help you in resolving the problem, then the last option would be to format the drive. If you have no important data saved on the storage device which is displaying error “the operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty” then,
- Go to This PC/My Computer and right click on the drive
- Select the Format Complete the formatting process
In case, if you have any important files present on the storage drive, then make use of Remo Recover – an ideal data recovery program and restore your data. This tool can effortlessly recover files from a flash drive that needs to be formatted after corruption, virus attack, improper handling, file system damage, turned RAW drive, and more.
It can also perform lost or deleted files recovery from USB flash drive, HDD, SD, memory, pen drive, and a lot more storage drives. So, scan your error showing USB disk, SD card, external hard drive, etc. using this handy data recovery software and recover your data first. Then, format it for reuse.