iPhone cameras are getting better with each edition, thanks to the increased image quality and resolution. This obviously demands an increase in the iPhone storage. Over time, as the number of photos increases on your phone, it can get difficult to manage, so you will eventually want to transfer it to a storage device or a PC. In this article, we’ll teach you how you can transfer photos from an iPhone to a Mac and a PC.
- Transfer photos from iPhone to Mac
There are many ways you can transfer photos from an iPhone to a Mac and some of them are explained below.
Solution 1: Using Photos app
The simplest method is to transfer photos using the ‘Photos app’ on your Mac by following the steps below.
- Connect your ‘iPhone’ to your ‘Mac’ using a lightning USB cable
- As soon as you connect, the ‘Photos app’ opens. If it doesn’t open, go to ‘Finder’ > ‘Pictures’ folder. Then select ‘Photos’ to open it
- In the left sidebar, under ‘Import’, select ‘iPhone’ and click on ‘Import All New Items’ in the top right corner to import all images. You can also select ‘Import Selected’ to import only selected files
Solution 2: iCloud Photo library
‘iCloud Photo Library’ is a great way to store your photos, videos etc on the cloud. The photos stored here can be accessed from any device like iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac etc.
You can also this feature to import photos from iPhone to your Mac by following the steps below.
- Go to ‘Settings’ on your iPhone and click on ‘Apple ID/name’
- In the next screen, check ‘iCloud Photo Library’ to upload all images to iCloud
- Next, open your Mac and click on ‘Photos’
- In the ‘Photos tab’, choose ‘Options’ menu > ‘Preferences’ > ‘iCloud’
- In the next screen, check the checkbox ‘iCloud Photo Library’ and all images will be saved to your Mac.
Solution 3: Using ‘Airdrop’
‘Airdrop’ is another useful feature to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac. To import photos using ‘Airdrop’, follow the steps below.
- Turn on ‘WiFi’ and ‘Bluetooth’ on both iPhone and Mac
- Open ‘Control Center’ on your iPhone and select ‘Airdrop’. To open ‘Control Center’, just swipe down from the top right corner of the screen
- You can choose to give access to ‘Everyone’ or ‘Contacts only’
- On your Mac, click on Finder and select ‘Airdrop’. Choose ‘Allow me to be discovered’ and make a choice between ‘Everyone’ or ‘Contacts Only’ just as you did on your iPhone
- Then select the photos to be transferred to Mac
- Click on the ‘Share’ button in your iPhone and select ‘Tap to share with Airdrop’ and choose your Mac device. On your Mac, accept the file/s to be received and all selected files will be transferred.
- Transfer photos from iPhone to a PC
Following are some methods using which you can transfer photos from iPhone to a PC.
Solution 1: Use iCloud Photo Library on Windows PC
You can use the ‘Windows version of iCloud Photo Library’ to import photos on a Windows machine by following the steps below.
- First, install ‘iCloud’ (Windows version) on your computer
- Then turn on ‘iCloud Library’ on your iPhone by going to ‘Settings’ > ‘[your account name]’ > ‘iCloud’ > ‘Photos’. This will upload your photos to the cloud
- Then open ‘iCloud on your computer’ and sign in using the same ‘Apple ID’ as your iPhone
- Open ‘Photos’ > ‘Options’
- Check the box next to ‘iCloud Photo Library’
- Save the changes and your photos will be imported to your PC
Solution 2: Using Windows Explorer
You can also use ‘Windows Explorer’ to transfer photos from an iPhone to a PC. This is possibly done by connecting them using a lightning cable and following the steps below.
- Open ‘Windows Explorer’ on your computer and select ‘Internal Storage’
- Select ‘DCIM’; here you will find a ‘Pictures’ folder
- You can browse through the ‘Pictures folder’ to copy them to your PC.
Now you’ve seen how simple it is to transfer photos from iPhone to a Mac or a PC. But to be on a safer side, it is always better to have a backup of your images in the cloud. If you have a large number of photos, it is worthwhile to invest in an iCloud paid plan that starts with 0.99$ for 50GB a month.
Data recovery using Remo Recover
If you don’t have a backup and you experience data loss during a transfer processor due to any other reason, data recovery tools can be used. Remo Recover’s photo recovery software is a great choice to recover lost or deleted photos. The software is also available for Mac users, refer Mac photo recovery tool for more details.