If you download files from the internet, you are probably familiar with RAR and Zip files. This blog post focuses on RAR files, which are files created using WinRAR.
RAR files are a compressed form of files; could be of software, application or any data like Word documents, Excel files etc. The compressed nature makes the file available in a tiny size, so it’s easier and faster to download. They are also easy to transfer over email. And not just that, these files when stored on the computer occupies less space and also provides an organized view.
Reasons for RAR file corruption
RAR files can be subject to corruption due to various reasons and a few common ones are explained.
- Download or transfer error is the most common reason. During transfer or download, invalid data may be introduced into the file causing corruption.
- Bad sectors or damage to the area where these files are stored can also cause corruption in these files
- Mistakes by the application when creating a RAR file can also cause corruption.
When the RAR file is corrupt, only one file, multiple files or all of the files in the archive can get corrupted. But whether it’s one or all the files, the archive becomes inaccessible and hence the need for repair.
How to repair RAR files using WinRAR?
WinRAR provides a built-in repair tool to repair corrupt RAR files. To repair your RAR file, just follow the steps below.
- Download and install WinRAR on your computer. It is available for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
- Select the corrupted RAR file in WinRAR application
- Click on Repair in the toolbar
- The repair dialogue opens; here select a destination to save your repaired RAR file
- Once the repair is complete, go to the folder where the file is saved and look for the file named ‘rebuilt.rar’. This is the repaired RAR file.
This method works in some cases of corruption. However, if it does not, you may want to use professional RAR repair tools such as Remo Repair RAR. It is a wonderful tool to repair corrupt or damaged RAR files. The software works on a unique read-only mechanism that only extracts data from the original file. Then it debugs issues from the extracted data and creates a new healthy file.
More about Remo Repair RAR
The software can be used to repair all kinds of corruption issues such as CRC errors, header inconsistencies and files damaged by the virus.
It has the ability to repair large RAR files of over 4GB in size and can also work easily with files that are password protected. The software is designed with the simple interface, so it’s easy even for non-technical users. All you have to do is install the software and select the corrupt RAR file. Then click on Repair and select a location to save repaired file. Yes, it’s that simple to repair RAR file using the Remo Repair RAR.