When you boot your system, you may encounter the error ‘A disk read error occurred in Windows 10, Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart’. When you restart the system, again you see the same message and the cycle repeats.
The reasons for this error are varied; it could be either hardware or software related such as corruption in the Master Boot Record or boot sector.
Here in this guide, we provide some potential solutions to troubleshoot this error. Read on to learn more.
Solution 1: Try connecting the hard drive on a different machine
Connect your hard drive to a different computer and check if it works fine. If it does and you can access all your data, the issue is with other hardware or software in your system and not the hard drive itself.
If connecting the hard drive to another system does not work, the problem is mostly with your hard drive.
Solution 2: Replace cables
You can try replacing SATA/IDE cables to rule out the possibility of cable damage. Also, try different SATA or IDE ports to see if the ports are damaged and causing issues.
Solution 3: Run CHKDSK
CHKDSK checks the integrity of file system and repairs any issues it finds. To run the tool, follow the steps below.
- Restart your computer and press F11 before startup
- Now wait for Advanced Start-up Options to show
- Select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt
- In the Command prompt, type ‘CHKDSK /R’. If you find any errors, proceed to the next step
Solution 4: Repair boot sector and master boot record
Sometimes, a corrupt boot sector or a corrupt master boot record may cause the error to occur. To fix corruption, you can use the following commands.
- Insert a Windows 10 installation disk into the system
- Choose the option to boot from installation DVD/CD
- At the welcome screen, click Repair your computer
- Choose to Troubleshoot > Command prompt
- If you have not already run CHKDSK, you can do that now, type ‘CHKDSK /R’. If you find any errors, proceed with other steps.
- Type ‘FixMbr’ to repair the master boot record on the hard drive
- Then type ‘FixBoot’ to repair the boot sector and check if the files required to boot the computer are present
- Type Exit to quit recovery console and restart your system
Solution 5: Defragment the hard drive
Defragmenting the hard drive can solve the issue in some circumstances. You can do this by connecting the drive to another machine.
- Go to Start > Control Panel > System & Security
- Click Defragment your hard drive
- In the dialog box that appears, select the correct disk
- Click on Analyze disk to see if your disk needs defragmentation. If it does, click Defragment Disk
- Wait until the process is complete and close Defragment dialogue and Control Panel
If none of these methods work, you will have to backup data and re-partition and format your drive.
In order to access data from the drive which shows ‘A disk read error occurred in Windows 10’, you can use specialized tools such as Remo Recover. It provides a complete solution for all your data recovery needs.
If you are receiving this error, you most likely won’t be able to use your current PC. In that case, connect the hard drive to a different computer to recover data. Install Remo Recover on the working computer and recover your data safe from the drive.
You can use Remo Recover to recover data from corrupt, inaccessible and RAW drives as well. Also, see the troubleshooting steps for fix hard drive with short dst check failed error.
The software works with all recent versions of Windows including Windows 10.