iTunes library can contain lots of albums, feature films, short films, YouTube downloads, TV series episodes and so on. This content can take up a lot of hard disk space. It is imperative to transfer these files to a new system to free up some space on your system.
So, let us look at some methods that can be used to transfer your iTunes library to a new computer.
- Using External Hard Drive
This is a great option to move your iTunes files since external hard drives come with large capacities at affordable rates.
- First up, update your iTunes backup to make sure the library contains all the content.
- Now connect your external hard drive to the old computer.
- Move your iTunes library to external hard drive.
- Now disconnect your external hard drive and connect it to the new computer.
- Copy or drag the iTunes folder from your external hard drive to My Music folder on your new computer.
- Using Home Sharing
Before you proceed with this method, make sure you have necessary requirements for Home Sharing. To use Home Sharing between two computers, you must have iTunes installed on both PCs, they must be on the same home network, be it wired or Wi-Fi, and have an Apple ID linked to your iTunes account.
- Open iTunes on your home computer as well as a new computer. Ensure iTunes is updated on both computers.
- Now turn on Home Sharing by clicking on File -> Home Sharing in the drop-down menu. Click Turn On Home Sharing and enter your Apple ID password when prompted.
- Turn on Home Sharing for the home computer. Follow the same steps as followed for a new computer.
- Now select the type of data that you want to transfer and click OK to import iTunes library to the new computer.
- Using iPod
- Plug in your iPod to your home computer. Sync all items that you want to copy.
- Now plug in your iPod to the new computer. Once iTunes launches, you can select Erase and Sync or Transfer Purchases. You should erase contents of new computer and transfer your iPod data.
- You will get a second prompt asking if you are sure..Click Transfer.
- Now all content of your iPod will be transferred to your new computer. Note that this method only allows transfer of content that is downloaded from iTunes store and not CDs or other added music.
Recover data using Remo Recover software
If you lost any data while transferring or the transfer process was interrupted, you can recover all the data with Remo Remover software.
The data recovery software can restore data from all kinds of hard drives, USB drives, memory cards, memory sticks and so on. It supports file systems such as FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS5, and ExFAT.
Remo Recover is capable of recovering data even after re-installation of your Operating system. The data recovery tool can retrieve several different file types. If the cannot find the file type you are trying to recover, you can add it using the signature RAW search option.
Backup files of your iTunes are extremely important as well. Remo Recover shows you in few simple steps on how to recover deleted iTunes backup files.
The user interface is also extremely simple, enabling safe and quick recovery of your data.
Just download the software, follow on-screen instructions to successfully restore all your lost or deleted data.