Consider a situation when there is an issue with your Outlook. To fix it, you try various troubleshooting methods but no luck. So you decide to run the Inbox Repair tool to repair your PST file. Upon running the tool, you receive the following error message.
‘Microsoft Office Inbox Repair Tool does not recognize the file. Filepath.pst.’
This article focuses on troubleshooting steps to fix this error. The first method is to move the PST file to a different folder and run Scanpst again.
Solution 1: How to copy your PST file to a different folder
- Click Windows + X and click on File Explorer from the menu
- Now browse to the location of your PST file
- Copy the PST file and move it to a location of your choice
Once you have moved the PST file, you will have to point Outlook to the new data file. It can be done by following the steps below.
Point Outlook to a new data file?
- Open File > Info tab
- Click on Account Settings > Account Settings
- Go to Data Files tab and click on Add
- Select Outlook data file (.pst) in Save As type
- Find the new location of your PST file and select the .pst file
- Then click on Set as Default
- Click Ok in the prompt and click on .pst file (that was found in step 4) in the section ‘How to identify the name and location of your Personal Folder File’
- Confirm and then click Close.
- Open File > Exit and restart Outlook
This will point Outlook to the new data file. Once this is done, run Scanpst.exe on the new data file. This may resolve the error in some cases.
If the above method does not resolve your issue and the error persists, you can use professional Outlook repair tools designed specifically for this purpose. Remo Repair Outlook (PST) is one of the best tools available to repair your PST files.
Solution 2: Remo Repair Outlook (PST)
The software extracts data from your PST, fixes issues and creates healthy files. It uses a read only fashion, so the original contents of your PST are perfectly safe. All Outlook attributes such as emails, contacts, calendars, notes etc. can be recovered using the tool. And all recovered items can be previewed in Outlook Style browser for convenience.
It is a wonderful tool to repair corrupt, inaccessible and large PST files. In some cases, you may receive an error ‘The Outlook PST file not found’. This software can be used in such situations as well. It is compatible with all versions of Outlook including Outlook 2016.
Simple Steps to repair PST file using Remo Repair
Remo Repair Outlook (PST) is designed with a simple and friendly GUI. Install the software on your system and follow the 3 steps below.
Step 1: Launch the software and select corrupt PST file. If you don’t know the location, the tool will find it automatically.
Step 2: Then select a scan and choose a folder to save the repaired file
Step 3: Click Repair and check the destination folder to see your repaired files