Sometimes you may receive an error message ‘Outlook data file cannot be configured <path of the .ost file>’. Before we learn how to resolve this issue, let us first understand OST files.
All email accounts in Outlook store a local copy on the computer. This allows you to access previously downloaded email messages, calendars, contacts etc without an internet connection.
There are different accounts like POP, IMAP, Outlook.com, Office 365 that you can use with Outlook. POP and IMAP (email accounts created from ISP like Xfinity or AT&T) stores backup in a data file called PST. Office 365, Outlook.com and Exchange accounts use OST files for backup.
To fix the issue ‘Outlook data file cannot be configured’, you can troubleshoot using the steps described below:
- Run Scanpst.exe
- Exit Outlook and search for Scanpst.exe in the Search bar. It is different for each version of Outlook. You can also use the guide here as the reference.
- Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Outlook 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook 2007: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office1
- Open Scanpst.exe and browse the location of your data file. To find the location, go to Outlook, select File > Account Settings > Account settings, and then choose the second tab; data files. Note the location of your file from here.
- Then choose Start to begin scanning
- If the tool finds errors, click on Repair to start the repair process
- Re-download .ost file
If Scanpst.exe fails to fix your ost file, you can re-download the .ost file from an Exchange server. To download the file, follow the steps below.
- Open Outlook > Account settings dialog > Data files tab
- Choose your Exchange account and then choose Settings
- On the Advanced tab, clear the Cached Exchange Mode check box
- Click on Ok at the prompt and choose Settings
- On the Advanced tab, choose Outlook data file settings > Disable Offline Use > Yes
- Choose Outlook data file settings and click on Create a new file
- Choose Browse and select a folder to save the .ost file
- Choose Ok and on the Advanced tab, select the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box and click Ok to restart Outlook
- Close the Account settings dialogue
This process creates a new OST file. You can manually delete the old .ost file after you have downloaded the new one. Now, restart Outlook and check if the error persists.
Disadvantages of using manual methods
The scanpst tool can take a long time and may require you to run it multiple times before the error can be fixed. These methods also involve risk of losing valuable data. Hence, it is best to use professional tools designed specifically for this reason. The tools convert OST files to PST, which are easy to work with and provide import options. Remo offers the best OST to PST converter software to convert your .ost file and convert it to .pst.
About Remo OST to PST converter
The software works with corrupted and inaccessible OST files and converts it to PST. It effectively recovers all contents of your OST file such as emails, contacts, calendars etc.
It also supports password protected and encrypted OST files. It keeps the folder structure and contents intact after conversion. It uses a read-only mechanism, so your original file is not altered during conversion.
The software is compatible with all versions of Outlook including the latest version, 2016. You can download OST to PST converter free software here (trial version).