It is believed that Mac OS X is more secure from corruption point of view. However, there still exist some situations that can corrupt Mac OS X volumes. These volumes comprise of metadata structures like, Master Directory Block, catalog file, etc. that might corrupt the volume and renders it inaccessible for users. Most of these corruptions can be detected and repaired by ‘Disk Utility’.
But ‘Disk Utility’ fails to repair the corrupted volume in many instances. Let’s consider you are running ‘Disk Utility’ on corrupted volume of macOS High Sierra, which may lead to few error messages, and Filesystem verify or repair failed is one among those errors.
How to Fix ‘Filesystem verify or repair failed’ Error on macOS High Sierra?
Issues, which cannot be fixed by ‘Disk Utility’ should be resolved by running fsck manually. To do so, boot the Mac machine in a single-user mode and while the machine is booting, press ‘command’ and S keys down. Next, you need to type fsck -fy command.
But if the problem remains unresolved, you should delete the corrupted volume, provided, a good backup of required data is available. But if such a backup does not exist, run a Mac Data recovery software and extract all possible data.
Recover data from ‘filesystem verify or repair failed’ drive with Remo Recover for Mac Software
Remo Mac Data Recovery is a professional Mac data recovery software that can recover data from drive that has ‘file system verify or repair failed’ error, undelete Mac files even emptied from Mac Trash, recover data from formatted drive, recover data from un-mountable drive, recover data from unreadable drive, recover data from corrupted drive, recover deleted/lost partition, etc. on macOS High Sierra as well as other OS X operating systems.
Guide to recover data from the volume that has ‘filesystem verify or repair failed’ error on macOS High Sierra
- Download and Install the demo version of the Remo Recover Mac on your Mac machine and launch the software to open the main screen. Select the suitable option from given options to start with drive recovery.
- Now, select the option according to your data loss scenario for recovering data volume data.
- From next window, select the appropriate drive to restore data.
- The software starts the scanning process and once it gets completed recovered data is displayed
- Preview the recovered files and save them to any safe location or a drive
What’s next? Fix ‘file system verify or repair failed’ error by reformatting
To do so,
- Launch Disk Utility
- Select the drive that has ‘file system verify or repair failed’ error
- Choose Erase, complete related information (name, format, scheme), and then click Erase to reformat the drive
By now the issue has to be resolved. It is also possible that the error ‘macOS High Sierra could not be installed on your computer. File system verify or repair failed’ may occur when you want to upgrade to a new macOS, which indicates that there are some errors on our file system and make the new macOS can’t be successfully installed.
However, by following the above-mentioned solution you can easily resolve the issue, reformat the drive, and then try to reinstall new macOS.