You may have some important files stored on USBs. When connected to the system, you find that all files have become shortcuts. Now you are worried if these files can be recovered? If they’re recovered, will they be of original quality?
This is a common error situation usually caused by a virus. It is possible that a virus could have altered the names of the file to shortcuts. In such situations even if use antivirus and remove the virus from USB, it is difficult to view the files. You can try the following methods to recover your files from USB.
- Show Hidden files
If you have not formatted your USB drive, check whether the files are hidden. To show hidden files,
- Open any folder and click on Organize
- Choose Folder and Search options
- In the View tab, select Show hidden files and folders
- Uncheck Hide protected Operating system files
- Click on Apply and confirm
- Use file recovery software to retrieve files
Professional data recovery tools like Remo Recover is designed to retrieve data from virus infected USBs. The software can also be used to recover data from corrupt and inaccessible USB drives. How to retrieve files from pen drive infected with virus explains data recovery steps in detail.
In addition to USB’s, it can also be used to recover data from other data storage devices like external hard drives, memory cards, etc. Ixpand flash drives are storage devices used for those with an iPhone or iPad that need extra storage. This article explains how to restore data from corrupted ixpand flash drives. All major brands of USB’s like SanDisk, Kingston, Transcend, Lexar are supported.
Steps to recover data from USB drive?
Recovering data from USB drive is a simple process. Download and install Remo Recover software on your system.
- Connect your USB to the system
- Choose Recover Drives from the main screen.
- Select partition recovery (or formatted recovery if you have formatted your drive)
- From the list of drives, select your USB drive
- Select a specific file type which you wish to retrieve or click on Skip if you want to recover all file types
- A list of all recovered files are displayed
- Save the required files