Sometimes, your hard drive may not show up after upgrading to Windows 10. It may be due to outdated drivers or unassigned drive letter in Disk Management.
- Update drivers
If the hard drive is not showing up, then you can update drivers by going through Device Manager.
- In Windows 10, right-click on Start menu
- Select Device Manager
- Look for your hard drive and right click on it.(The yellow warning sign usually indicates compatibility issues/outdated drivers)
- Select Update Driver software and follow on-screen instructions to update your drivers.
If your hard drive shows up healthy in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer, change the drive letter associated with the disk (Step 3)
- Run the Hardware & Devices Troubleshooter
You can run the Hardware & Devices troubleshooter to resolve any issues with hardware.
- Click on Start menu and in the Search bar, type Troubleshooting and hit Enter
- Click on View All in the left pane
- Choose Hardware & Devices and follow the onscreen instructions
Then check if the issue is resolved. If the error persists, proceed to the next step.
- Change drive letter
Sometimes your drive may not be assigned a drive letter, so it will not be recognized. Assign a drive letter to your drive in disk management and check if your hard drive is detected.
- Identify your drive and right click on it.
- Select Change drive letter and paths
- Click on Add to add a new drive letter
- Select a drive letter from the drop-down menu and complete the process.
About Remo Recover
If these methods don’t resolve your issue, your drive is probably corrupted. You will need to use data recovery tools to recover your data before you attempt to repair it or format your drive. Remo Recover is a great tool to recover data from corrupt and inaccessible hard drives. It can recover your files securely without modifying the original contents of the drive. All kinds of hard drives like SSD, SATA, SCSI etc are supported. Step by step guide to recover data from your corrupt/inaccessible drives are explained in this article.
Sometimes, you may receive error messages such as ‘The drive needs to be formatted. Do you want to format it now?’ When you encounter this message you may click on Format as a next step. This would have deleted all your data on the drive. But it is possible to recover formatted hard drive. Remo Recover can be used in such cases as well. The article How to recover files from formatted internal hard drive explains the process in detail.