The Outlook PST file has a specific storage limit on file size with depends on the version of Outlook. The size limitation for an ANSI user would be 2 GB or if you are a Unicode user, the size limitation of PST would be 20 GB.
Whenever PST size gets oversized, the Outlook takes lots of time to open files or to respond files. And you might encounter with Outlook error messages in the near future. You might soon begin to get reminders from your system administrator reminding to reduce the PST file size. The problem may become worse if the PST file gets corrupt.
Recommended: To repair corrupted PST file, use Remo Repair Software that has the ability to repair PST file larger than 2GB in simple steps.
So as an MS Outlook user, you should be aware of different run-time issues occur when PST file exceeds stipulated storage limit and what are the different ways to overcome oversize status in Outlook data files.
One alternate solution can be split large Outlook PST file that helps organizing data in Outlook while all integrated attributes remain intact. And other solutions that help in reducing the size of the PST file are as follows:
#1: Empty Deleted Items Folder
Removing items permanently from Deleted Items folder can minimize PST file size and this can be done by following the instructions given below:
To Automatically Empty Deleted Items folder,
- Click on File, select Option and then select the Advanced tab
- Next, from the Outlook Start and Exit option, select Empty Deleted Items folder when exiting Outlook
- Next, click on OK to apply the changes
To Manually Empty Deleted Items Folder
- Right click on the Deleted Items folder and select Empty Folder option
- Alternatively, you can click on Shift + Delete keys altogether for deleting items permanently
#2: Archive Older Outlook Items
Archiving MS Outlook mailbox older items work towards maintaining the PST size. In Outlook, Archiving settings can be applied by
- Click on Info, select Cleanup Tools and then click on Archive options
- Select desired location to store the Archive file on the machine
An archive file is saved on user-specific location on the hard drive and the items being archived are removed from the Outlook mailbox.
#3: Mailbox Cleanup
The mailbox can be organized with Mailbox Cleanup tool. To open it
- Click on the File tab and select Info. Click on Cleanup Tools and then select Mailbox Cleanup
- Then select View Mailbox Size option that scans the mailbox size and all integrated subfolders
- Select the option to Find older or large sized items that can be deleted directly from enlisted items
- Based on the Archive settings, you can run asAutoArchive feature
- Check the Deleted Items folder size and if you desire, you can empty the folder
“If you have mistakenly deleted any folder from Outlook, you can make use of Remo Repair Outlook PST Application to recover deleted Outlook folder.”
#4: Move Messages to Personal Folder
Moving Outlook items to Personal Folders will reduce the size of the Outlook mailbox. In case standalone version is used, entire mailbox items including emails, contacts, tasks, journals, calendars, etc. get stored in PST file with size capacity of 50GB in latest Outlook versions such as Outlook 2016, 2013 and 2010.
#5: Save & Remove Email Attachments
Email messages can incorporate large attachments that contribute to the PST volume. Based on the preferences, you can select to save the attachment locally on the hard drive and then removing them from the Mailbox Inbox.
- In the Inbox folder, open the email message and then click on the enclosed attachment
- Right-click on the attachment and select Save all attachments. Alternatively, under Message tab, click on Actions and then select Other Actions and next, click on Save all attachments
- Then browse and select the desired location to store the file (that contains attachments) and click on Save button
- Once the attachments are saved appropriately, you can select to delete them permanently from the mailbox
Well, reducing the size of Outlook data files is necessary for the quick and error-free performance of Outlook data files. For a faster mailbox management and cleanup, there are few tips and workaround methods that can be executed. The tips mentioned herein are efficient for Outlook users working under Exchange Server environment; however, independent Outlook users can also use these methods.