Are you facing an annoying error message with your USB flash drive? Your flash drive shows up on Disk Management but says ‘No media’? Well then, read this page to know how to fix this error message without losing data from your USB flash drive.
- Change USB port:
When the USB flash disk shows no media in Disk Management, then you can try to change the USB port and reconnect it to the system using a new port. Follow these steps:
- Unplug the USB drive from your computer
- Reconnect the flash drive to the system with a new USB port
- Now check if Disk Management can detect the USB flash drive
2. Export important media files from USB drive:
Step 1: In order to thoroughly scan and find media files from the USB drive, you can use Remo Recover tool. This software specializes in recovering data from flash drives, hard disks, and other storage mediums with ease. It helps to recover data from uninitialized hard drive, formatted partition, crashed hard disk, repartitioned the drive, and so on.
Step 2: Find disconnected devices entries and reconnect USB to the system
Find the entries of disconnected devices in Device Manager.
- Press and hold Windows + X keys and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
- Click on View and select Show Hidden Devices, expand all the entries
- Find the greyed out devices, right-click on them, and select Uninstall
- Restart your computer
- Now reconnect USB to the PC
- After finding entries of all the disconnected devices in Device Manager, restart your computer and try to reconnect the USB flash drive to your PC again
Now check whether the USB drive shows up in Disk Management. If not, go to step 3.
Step 3: Change the drive letter and run CHKDSK
You need to change the drive letter of the USB flash drive and then run CHKDSK to repair the USB drive errors. This should fix the error and make the USB flash drive work fine.
Suppose your data has become inaccessible after the error message and you have to recover it, you can use Remo Recover to restore data. This tool supports data recovery from internal or external hard drives after error. When the parameter is incorrect on external hard drive, hard drive turned RAW, etc., this software helps to retrieve files from it.