Time Machine Backup feature available on Mac helps you in many accidental data loss crises. However, sometimes Time Machine also fails and prompts errors which restrict you from accessing the backup. Here is one such error which usually makes you lose Time Machine backup
“The backup volume is read-only”
This error will block you from backing up your Mac data as well as from accessing backed up data from Time Machine. So, in order to make Time Machine work properly, you need to fix this issue earliest. Here are the methods to solve “The backup volume is read-only” error.
Before trying anything turn off Time Machine. To do so run System Preferences and pick Time Machine Preference Pane. And, then move the slider to OFF. Once after turning off your Time Machine, proceed with steps mentioned below.
In case, you are making use of external drive to take a backup, then remove it from Mac and re-plug it. Check whether the problem is solved or not.
- Right-click on the hard drive and choose Eject option from the drop-down menu
- Detach the hard drive from your Mac and re-connect it after few seconds
- Now, go to System Preferences and turn on Time Machine
In case, the problem still persists, then the issue might be with your Time Machine drive. Hence, use Mac built-in repair utility named as Disk First Aid to repair the drive. It helps to fix hard drive problems. If it doesn’t solve the issue, then move to the next step.
If there is no problem with the external drive and Time Machine drive, then there must be the issue on Time Capsule (if you are using Time Capsule to create a backup). So, repair Time Capsule using below mentioned steps:
- Go to Finder window and look for Time Capsule.
- Double click on it and open the Backups folder
- Search for .sparsebundle file and move it to the Disk Utility sidebar
- Select the file and click on First Aid tab.
- And, hit Repair Disk button and wait until the repair process gets finished
After completion of the process, turn on Time Machine. Even now, you are unable to access Time Machine Backup, then use Remo Recover Mac tool and restore all your inaccessible data from Time Machine Backup. The tool can also be used to restore Time Machine Backup when you get Time Machine error code 6584 while accessing.