If your Word 2016 crashes upon opening an old document in Windows 10, then don’t worry. Just try out these techniques and solve the issue easily.
Workaround #1: Inactivate Protected View in Word 2016
If you have enabled Protected View in Word 2016, then disable it. After, disabling Protected View open old document using Word 2016. Here are the steps to disable Protected View in Word 2016.
- Open Word application and then click on File tab
- Then, navigate to Options > Trust Center and click on Trust Center Settings
- Next, select Protected View and uncheck the check-boxes under Protected View
- Now, reopen Word document
Workaround #2: Modify Word 2016 Settings
- Open Word application and select File tab
- Next, select Options from left-hand sidebar and then Trust Center
- From the right-hand side, click on Trust Center Settings
- Now, click on File Block settings
- And, uncheck the document types that you want to be able to open and hit OK button
Still, Word 2016 crashes while opening an old document in Windows 10,? Then opt next fix.
Workaround #3: Fix Word 2016 from Control Panel in Windows 10
- Navigate to Control Panel-> Programs and Features
- Now, select Microsoft Office and then click on Change
- In the next window, select Repair button
Follow the instructions shown on the screen to complete the repair task successfully. Once repair process is done, open old documents using Word 2016.
Workaround #4: Reinstall Microsoft Office 2016
The last method you can try is to reinstall Word 2016. After completion of reinstallation, open your old Word file.
In case, you fail to open your old Word document after trying above-mentioned methods, then it must be the result of Word file corruption. To fix corrupted Word file so that it can open without any trouble, fix it using reliable Word File Repair tool. I will recommend Remo Repair Word. It fixes damaged DOCX and DOC file in three simple steps and renders a healthy file.