Do you know Command Prompt has the ability to resolve the problems relating to recovering files from external hard drives, memory cards, and other types of flash drives? Yes! It is one of the powerful inbuilt utility that help in retrieving files deleted due to accidental or unknown deletion, virus infections, etc.
So, if you have accidentally deleted any important files, you can restore them through Command Prompt. Here’s how to do it…
Before moving further, let’s understand the structure of file system first.
Basically, every file you save on your storage drive consists of two parts – a directory which consists of the file name and the list of blocks; and the blocks containing the actual data.
So, when a file is deleted, only the directory is removed. But, not the actual data blocks. And the directory entries are marked as available to save new data and are hidden from the operating system. In such cases, it is possible to recover deleted files easily through Command Prompt until and unless the data blocks are overwritten.
Recovering files using Command Prompt
One of the most effective methods to recover deleted files from storage devices is through Command Prompt. Command Prompt executes commands to perform the assigned task.
Important – Along with restoring files, Command prompt repairs bad sectors on storage devices and convert Raw File System to NTFS for free.
#1. Recover files from your external drive
If you are looking to recover deleted files from the external storage drive such as hard drives, USB, flash sticks etc., follow these commands in Command Prompt…
- Press Windows key + Rand in the search box, type CMD
- In the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk ‘drive letter’ /f and hit Enter. For example: C: \ USERS\ PROGRAM FILES\ chkdsk D: /f
- Press Y until the command lines start again
- Type the drive letter again and hit Enter(The command line will go back to the start)
- Now, type [drive letter: \ >attrib –h –r –s /s /d *.*].This command will recover all the files in the storage drive (attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>)
–r is Read-only attribute: Files are readable and cannot be changed
–s assigns ‘System’ attribute to the selected files
–h command assigns the ‘Hidden’ attribute to the selected files
‘/S’ implies to search the specified path including subfolders
‘/D’ command includes process folders
- Once the process is complete, a new folder is created on your external drive with all the recovered files. Probably, the files will be in .CHK format. Change the file format and save the files at the preferred location
#2. Restoring files from Recycle Bin using Command Prompt
Windows automatically delete files to make space for the newly deleted ones when the Recycle Bin becomes full. However, these removed files are still recoverable until the Recycle Bin is emptied. Follow these commands to restore files from Recycle Bin…
- In the command prompt window, type: start shell: RecycleBin Folder and press Enter. For example: C:\> start shell:RecycleBinFolder
- Select the files and restore them
But, Command Prompt cannot recover files from a formatted storage drive, for that you need to take the assistance of an external drive recovery software. Remo Recover Software can assist you in recovering your deleted files from the external drive without any difficulty.
Till now you learned how to recover deleted files using Command Prompt. But now you may ask what if the files are deleted using Command Prompt? How to recover files deleted through Command Prompt? Well, you can make use of Remo Recover Application to get your job done in few simple steps.