Connecting external USB drive to the system but ending up encountering an error message which states – “USB device not recognized” is annoying. Well, many Windows users have been through this issue. Annoying as it seems, it is possible to fix the error message and make the USB drive recognizable. Here are a few methods that you can try out one by one to fix the error message.
Method 1: Restart computer
Yes, sometimes a simple reboot can fix the USB device unrecognizable issue. Plug out the USB external drive, wait for a while, and then restart the system. Now plug your device back again and see if the error message is fixed.
Method 2: Try on a different computer
Try to plug-in the USB device to another computer. Because sometimes, there could be a problem with the USB port in the system that you are currently using. If the error occurs in the other computer too, then there could be an issue with the USB device itself.
Method 3: Reinstall USB controllers
If the USB drive connected is corrupted, then you can follow the steps listed here to fix the issue:
- Go to Start, type Device Manager in the search box, and select Device Manager
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right-click on a device and select Uninstall. Repeat for each device
- After this step, restart the computer. USB controllers will install automatically.
Method 4: Run SFC
You can run SFC (System File Checker) which helps to check the operating system files and finds if there are any damaged files to fix them. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Start and bring up Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
- In CMD window, type sfc/scannow and hit Enter
- Once it is done, check if the problem is fixed
Method 5: Enable Don’t tell me about USB errors
- Bring up Device Manager, go to Universal Serial Bus and right click to choose Properties
- Now select Advanced tab, and at the bottom left to check the box which states “Don’t tell me about USB errors” and click OK
These methods should help you out to fix the error message and make USB drive recognizable. If you go wrong with any step and end up losing data, then don’t worry. You can recover data from your external USB drive with the help of this Data Recovery software. Even when USB drive shows no data, becomes inaccessible, turns RAW, and so on, you can use this Data Recovery tool to efficiently and safely restore data. In just a few simple steps, you can get back all your files and folders from the external USB drive.