You have opened your computer to access some file, but to your surprise instead of files, you encountered file shortcuts. Wondering, what wrong with your file/folder? Well! It is due to shortcut virus. Shortcut virus is a malicious program when it infects, your files turn into shortcut icon. It hides the original file and sometimes, it makes whole storage device like pen drive, USB, etc., inaccessible.
Autorun.inf is very common shortcut virus. It creates shortcuts of files and folders by multiplying itself. If you are one among them who is struggling with this shortcut virus, then read further. Here, I have listed all possible methods to get rid of the shortcut virus from your PC, pen drive, and USB.
- Removing shortcut virus using command prompt
- Eliminating shortcut virus from registry
- Remove Shortcut Virus using Bat file
- Eliminate shortcut virus using Shortcut Virus Remover
Method #1: Removing shortcut virus using command prompt
- Open Run window by pressing Windows + R key at a time
- Then type “cmd” and hit OK to open command prompt
- Type attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*. * command (Where D is the drive letter) and press Enter.
Note- If you want to remove shortcut virus from an external drive, then connect it to the computer. And specify removable drive letter instead of D in 3rd step.
Method #2: Eliminating shortcut virus from registry
- Open Run window and type “regedit” and click Ok to enter the Windows registry
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER ->Software -> Microsoft ->Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Run.
- Check whether any unusual key such as WXCKYz, OUzzckky and any other attribute ends with VBS, INI, LNK and EXE extension are present or not. If there delete them.
- Then open Run window once again and type “msconfig”
- Hit “OK” and go to “Startup” tab to uncheck everything except Antivirus
- Click Ok followed by Restart Now button
Use this technique at your own risk because any mistake on Windows Registry may put you in greater risk.
Method #3: Remove Shortcut Virus using Bat file
- Open Notepad on your computer
- Next type following command on it
attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d Drive-Name:*.* attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d Drive-Name:*.* attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d Drive- Name:*.*
Note- Replace Drive-Name with drive letter of device, which is affected by shortcut virus
- Save your notepad as bat on your desktop and run this file
- It eliminates shortcut virus from the affected drive
Method #4: Eliminate shortcut virus using Shortcut Virus Remover
If above methods fail to remove shortcut virus from your PC, pen drive and USB, use Shortcut Virus Remover. There are many software’s available for removing shortcut virus.
If nothing works, format the shortcut virus infected pen drive, USB or PC. Even though it erases all your data, at least you can reuse your device for storing new files as well as it removes shortcut virus from your drive. Later, you can use Remo Recover software for recovering erased files from pen drive, USB, and PC. The software can also be used to restore deleted files from pen drive, memory card and any other device.
Precautions to be taken to avoid Shortcut Virus:
- Install Antivirus and regularly scan your PC and external drives
- Disable Autorun feature