MOV – a popular video file format preferred by many, and one which is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS. Sometimes, you might want to edit an MOV video file as the video quality is not so good. But you wonder how to go about the process and if it really is possible to edit the video on your own. Well, yes, you can edit MOV video file. So here I’ll tell you how to edit MOV files –
There are many editing tools available to edit MOV videos. Moreover, .mov videos are supported by QuickTime player, and so it is possible to conveniently edit MOV files on Mac. But, editing MOV on Windows is not an easy task because certain video editor programs, for instance – Windows Movie Maker, will not accept MOV format.
This issue can be resolved by converting MOV video into another format, like – AVI file, if you have to edit on Windows computer. There are many software available to convert MOV video to another format and edit it efficiently.
So let’s see how to edit MOV video files on Windows and Mac:
For editing MOV video files on Windows –
- First, use a file conversion tool to convert MOV video file into a supported file type, like MPG or AVI. Next, navigate to Programs à Accessories à Entertainment à Windows Movie Maker.
- Now, import the video file by selecting Import Video option from the Movie Tasks menu. The video shows up on a screen on the left.
- Scroll the video to the position where you want to make the first cut. Hit Ctrl + L key. The file shows up in the Window where you had imported your first video.
- Carry on with cutting down your desired files until they are of the size you want them to be, and then drag them to the storyboard at the bottom of the program
- Now, arrange the files in the order you wish them to be. Add any transitions using the View Video Transitions option in the Edit Movie menu below Movie Tasks. Drag the transitions to the storyboard.
- Finally, save your movie. Moving forward, you can choose to convert the video file back using the same file conversion tool. Or, you can keep it as it is. Changing the video file back comes with the risk of losing some quality.
Psst: If, during editing any mishap happens and your MOV file gets corrupted, then you can fix .mov file easily. Just follow the link to know how….
For editing MOV videos on Mac –
- Run iMovie, go to File à New Project, and give a name to the project
- Click on Create to start a new project
- Click on Import button to import MOV video
- Now you are all set to edit the video –
- To split the .mov video, place the cursor under the viewing window where you wish to split the video. Go to Edit menu, click on Split Video Clip at Playhead
- To crop the video, click on Crop and drag the triangles to the timeline to select required portions.
- To add effects to the MOV video, choose Effects tab in menu at the bottom of the clips pane. Select the clip you want to add effects to, and choose the required effect. You can also adjust the effect under preview window. The result can be previewed in the preview window. When you’re finally done, click Preview button again, and then click Apply. Finally save the edited .mov file.