Are you facing issues with your iMac computer? Has it slowed down over time, crashes every now and then, and its performance has deteriorated? Well, when unnecessary programs tend to gather, along with other unwanted files and junk, then the performance of the computer gets affected. One solution is to reset iMac back to factory settings. But how do you go about the procedure?
Resetting iMac computer back to factory settings involves – erasing the hard drive, and reinstalling the operating system on the computer. As a result, all personal data will be completely removed from the iMac computer. A fresh reset of the original iMac system software will be installed, just like when you first bought the computer.
So here is the guide which walks you through the process. Follow these steps to reset iMac back to its original factory settings –
- The first step is to reboot Mac, and after the boot chime sound, hold down Command and R buttons to put your iMac into Recovery mode
- Choose the startup disk where your recovery disk is located
- Select Disk Utility function, and hit Continue. The list of available hard disks will be displayed.
- Select Macintosh HD disk (if you have not changed the name of primary disk), and click on Erase button
- Choose a name for the erased drive, and from the Format drop-down list, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) option, which is required to reinstall iMac’s OS
- Click Erase
- Once the drive is erased, close Disk Utility to return to the OS X Utilities screen
- Now it’s time for fresh installation of Mac OS. Choose Reinstall OS X option from the OS X Utilities screen, and click Continue
- The system starts to install the downloaded operating system
- Follow the instructions for the installation, including basic setup
So that’s it! Now your Mac system will finish installing the OS. And when completed, it will reboot automatically to the fresh factory reset version. Hence, you have reset iMac to factory settings. No data remains on your iMac drive. This is why backing up files before resetting computer is important. If you forget to backup data in a hurry, or Apple’s Time Machine failed, then don’t worry – with iMac Data Recovery software free download version, you can easily get back data from iMac after factory reset. The software will also help you in recovering data after factory reset of any Windows or Mac running computers.
Additional Info: The resetting Mac back to factory settings procedure is almost similar for all Mac computers, including MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, and so on. You can carry out the same procedure from a boot USB disk if you have it.