The professional or HD videos will no doubt deliver a good quality, but those will be too slow to upload and download from any site. Even they take a lot of hard drive space when you want to store them. So to overcome such issues, compressing the videos would be a wise idea!
If you want to reduce your video file size for some backup purpose, or if you want to upload it to YouTube or Facebook without losing the original quality of a video, look no further! In this quick guide, you will find the best methods or ways that will ease the process of compressing large videos into smaller ones.
Method #1: When you want to upload a video on YouTube!
If you are finding any difficulty in uploading video to YouTube or to any other video platforms, then you can reduce the file size using professional online services like Final Cut, After effects, etc. Even though you find different menus between these programs, the settings will be same for all the programs. So, here are the things need to be concentrate in order to compress your video…
- Exporting the Video File – The purpose of exporting the video is to convert it to a format compatible with all the devices and systems, including YouTube, Facebook, and other platforms.
- Select the File Format – The most acceptable format by all systems and devices is MP4. So change the file format to MP4 and proceed further.
- Choose the Video Format or Codec – Well, one of the widely used codecs is H.246 which is supported by most of the systems. In fact, this is the codec preferred for uploading videos that have to be streamed online.
- Select the Right Bit Rate – If the video is SD, choose a bit rate between 2,000 – 5,000 kbps. If it is 720p, go with the bit rate of 5,000 – 10,000 kbps. And for 1080p video, the bit rate should be of 10,000-20,000 kbps.
- Select Resolution – Actually, websites for streaming videos will add their own resolutions once the uploading is done. So, it is better to keep the resolution as it is.
- Set the Keyframe and Frame Rate – Adjust the frame rate of the video to the same rate that you used while making the video. If the frame rate is above 30 FPS (frames per second), for example, 60 FPS, then encode the video to the rate half of that i.e. 30 FPS. And the Keyframe should be same as frame rate.
- Adjust Encoding Mode – To get the best quality video, choose multi-pass encoding instead of single-pas.
- Select Audio Options – Set audio format as AAC-LC, data rate as 320 kbps. If you have music, select Stereo, or else choose Mono. And the sample output rate must be 48.000 kHz.
Method #2: When you want to compress MOV file
If you want to compress a video file, especially MOV, then Quick Time X will be the best-suited one. However, a .mov file is already a compressed one, but if you want to transfer it easily to a phone or the web then you can compress the file bit more using Quick Time X. So, let’s begin…
- In QuickTime, open the video file
- Now choose File menu > Export for Web. You can see several options. It is possible to modify the file name when you want to analyze the differences between the source and compressed file
- Export the file. When you do this, three quality options will be displayed. You are required to choose the best one as per your need among Cellular, Wi-Fi, or Web
Method #3: Windows Movie Maker to compress AVI file
To compress AVI file, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Movie Maker Application on your PC from the Start menu
- From the left-hand side column, select Import Video situated below Capture Video. This is to take you to a window that asks you to browse the video file to be compressed
- When you select AVI file, the file name of the video will be put automatically into the File Name field in the video selection pane
- Click on Import
- Now, all the imported video file components should be selected into Windows Movie Maker. You can do this by dragging the cursor over each and every file component to highlight it
- Drag the video components to the Timeline feature just like you dragged the file components into Windows Movie Maker
- Choose Save to my Computer option
- In the Save Movie Wizard windows, type the file name in the designated field and click Next. This is to differentiate your source AVI file from that of newly compressed one
- Select the file size for AVI you want to compress to and click on Next
- Now your AVI video will be compressed to a smaller bit size. To complete the process, click on Finish button
Well, you can see that the process to compress an AVI file is quite big and hence need more attention while selecting each and every parameter. If anything goes wrong, then there are possibilities of AVI file corruption.
Therefore, it is always recommended to take backup of your important AVI video file before you put it to compress. If you didn’t take backup and unfortunately your AVI video gets corrupt, then that AVI video file can be repaired using Remo Video Repair Tool.
Of course, the rule of taking backup applies to each and every video file that is being compressed!