Outlook uses PST (Personal Storage) files to store emails and other Outlook items like contacts, notes, journals, calendar, reminder etc. Although it is popular, Outlook users quite often find error messages when they try to open the PST file, which indicates corruption of the file.
Some error messages that might be displayed after PST Corruption:
- The file xxxx.pst is not a personal folders file.
- Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- File xxxx.pst could not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check.
- The file xxxx.pst could not be found.
- Unable to display the folder. The file xxxx.pst could not be accessed.
Header corruption, abnormal termination of MS Outlook, corrupted storage device, not only corrupts PST files but sometime deletes them permanently. There is inbuilt repair tool (.scanpst.exe) that helps in repairing such PST file. But, Inbox Repair Tool fail to fix the PST file when it is severely corrupted or damaged. Hence, third party PST Repair software like Remo Repair Outlook (PST) is preferred over such inbuilt tool to fix severely damaged PST file.
Remo Repair Outlook:
Remo Repair Outlook (PST) perform Outlook PST file repair very efficiently. You can use this tool to repair corrupted PST files which are created on various Outlook versions such as 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010. In addition, it has the ability to repair password protected and highly encrypted PST file by utilizing its advanced repairing algorithms. It repair and restores all the attributes of PST file such as contacts, attachments, notes, journals, RSS feeds, reminders etc. easily.
With this tool, it is also possible to repair PST file that cannot be repaired using inbox repair tool, which is provided with Outlook. Moreover, this program repair oversized Outlook PST file. It provides two options to repair PST file, depending on the severity of PST file corruption which are known as “Normal Scan” and “Smart Scan”. “Normal Scan’ option is used for minor PST file corruption and “Smart Scan” option is used when PST file is severely corrupted or broken.
Other notable features of Remo Repair Outlook (PST):
- For the purpose of easy import, this software stores repaired PST files in Outlook 2003-2010.
- By using “Find PST File” option, you can easily search PST files on your system, when you don’t know exact location of your files.
- This tool allows you to select particular Outlook profile in case of multiple Outlook profiles with the help of “Select Outlook Profile” option.
- You can evaluate repaired results through Outlook styled browse view, later you can go for full version of this application.
- This program helps you to select destination folder to save repaired PST files.
- It is compatible with the widely used versions of Windows operating system including Windows 8.
Common scenarios for PST file corruption:
Due to Oversized PST file: Outlook PST file, had a size limit associated with them. On crossing this limit, either the server may crash or Outlook PST file may get corrupt and unreadable.
Damaged networking device: Defective networking device is the major scenario for the PST file corruption. Once your file gets corrupted, you may not be able to fix the problem by using in-built repair tool of Outlook and therefore, you need to use reliable PST file repairing tool to fix the corrupted PST file.
Abnormal termination of Outlook application: –If accidentally your Outlook shuts down when you are accessing the PST file, then in that condition your PST file is likely to get corrupted or damaged. Abnormal termination can occur due to sudden termination of system, hard disk problem or because of internal problem in CPU.
Error during Importing PST file: If you have upgraded your Outlook from older to newer version, it is required to import PST file. Errors, while importing PST files, can also cause corruption of PST file.
You need to have a backup copy of your PST file in order to avoid such PST file corruption circumstances. In case, if this option is not available with you then you can use Remo Repair Outlook (PST) for repairing corrupted PST file.
How to avoid corruption of PST file?
- Take backup of your PST files on regular basis.
- Do not terminate the Microsoft Outlook application abruptly.
- Always delete unwanted emails to avoid PST file oversize issues.
- Do not share the PST file over a network.